Name:
Location: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Thank You Sir C P Brown



This is a wonderful little poem (padyam as it is called in Telugu where 'd' is to be pronounced as in "th"is) by Yogi Vemana. This also happens to be my first trial at using images on this blog.

This link gives all that one would like to know of Vemana by none other than Sir C P Brown whose service to Telugu language is unforgettable. I bow humbly in reverence before this great soul who was born on this very day the 10th of November, in 1798. I do not have words to describe about him. I refer you to this link to know more about this great man without who Telugu would not have been what it is today and not known to the world as the Italian of the East.

Before I leave, let me give you the meaning of the poem by Vemana, in Sir C P Brown's own words ::
If you take a vile fellow and give him wealth he will overthrow even the venerable. Does the dog that gnaws shoes know the sweetness of the sugar cane?

I think in those days "wealth" is considered to be the center of "power" and that is why Sir Brown seems to have said "give him wealth" - as per actual translation of the word used in Telugu the meaning takes this turn -
"If you take a vile fellow and give him power he will overthrow even the venerable. Does the dog that gnaws shoes know the sweetness of the sugar cane?" - I would request the reader to look at "vile" in this context as that quality who is not broad-minded.

Thoughtful words from Vemana, I still do not know how the vile and the venerable are identified.

This is the second time in a span of 10 days - the first was the Andhra Pradesh Formation Day (Nov. 1st), and the other today - Nov. 10th, Birth Anniversary of Sir CP Brown - that I could not manage to start building the ground for a Telugu Bhaasha Sangham [A Telugu Language Society] in my college. I hope that day comes soon and I hope to see more people coming forward to make it a reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home