Name:
Location: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Remembering Kon-Tiki

When I was twelve I think, I read this book named "Kadali meeda Kon-Tiki", which translates to Kon-Tiki on Sea about the famous voyage of Kon-Tiki by a group of Norwegian sailors who were on this expedition to prove that people from South America could have settled Polynesia in the south Pacific in Pre-Columbian times - though it was never viewed as an Anthropological experiment, it is considered as one of those first instances of such a daring act being performed in the modern times.

Reading this book -"Kadali meeda Kon-Tiki" - was a wonderful experience for me. Despite I being a staunch vegetarian, I must tell you that I had my mouth-watering at the descriptions of the fish delicacies (in fact some times the fish that the writer tells you were eaten raw)that this book had. And as I write this my mouth waters, such indelible impressions does that make!

The writer Heyerdahl (do not remember who translated it to Telugu) - gives us such graphic descriptions about life at sea that I used to dream of going on such an adventure and of course, having those tasty fish :). The book is a must-read in my opinion.

If you have gone and read the above link by now, you would be wondering why Kon-Tiki came suddenly to my mind now - it is only a coincidence that it is in August that Kon-Tiki successfully reached its destination. I just saw this news report that a similar attempt is being taken up by a set of explorers (click here ) to prove that travel from Oman to Bet Dwarka was possible during Harappan times.This time around, it has the anthropological angle attached to it.

With two seemingly tough math exams to write, I do not know why I am writing this post now, but impulse carries us sometimes forward more than reason - and here I am sharing what I found :)

3 Comments:

Blogger mythalez said...

To understand the value of fish, read 'Life of Pi'. To understand the value of a blogpost, read its comments :P

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember reading it in junior school; we had a chapter named the Kon Tiki voyage. My parents use it as a pun for a long and exasperating journey. After they return my dad always exclaims - finally the Kon Tiki voyage ends.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger Shreeni said...

Thanks a lot for remembering me Kadali Meedha Kontiki...I too read this wonderful book in my childhood and I was very fortunate to read this book..... I consider this book is the best book I ever read..

Sunday, July 16, 2017 11:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home